Sunday, March 11, 2012

Is it live...or is it BS?

From day 1, every sound that has been produced by Main Line Affair has been 100% live. I've never worked with sequencers*. My 7 colleagues and I are vulnerable to making a mistake at any moment, and I suppose that is what makes good performance exciting. If there was no way for a trapeze artist to err, and to go plunging into the safety net, would it be as interesting? The most compelling view is of the acrobat working with no net, and that is what Main Line Affair and other 100% live bands are all about. Once I worked as a substitute with another well-known local wedding band. Unbeknownst to me before arriving, their instruments were fully 'sequenced,' meaning that I was supposed to stand there with my fancy keyboard and pretend to play. That was pretty lame. I feel like our clients pay for 100% live music, and if they didn't want that, then they'd just settle for a DJ.

The other problem with sequencing, I would guess, is that it would take away our spontaneity. I usually figure out what song we will play next, and the other people in the band find out about 20-30 seconds before we suddently change into the next song. I don't see how a sequencer could keep up, but then again I am not a sequencer user.

I'm sure some folks don't mind if the music is partially pre-recorded, but if you do prefer that it's totally live, then visit www.mainlineaffair.com. That's how we do it.


* A sequencer is a fancy musicians word which refers to a machine that is producing pre-programmed music.

No comments:

Post a Comment